1) What are some negative things that come to mind when you hear the word “Holy?” What are some positive things?
2) Did you grow up hearing about the “Holy Spirit?” or “Holy Ghost?” what have you heard about it?
3) Read John 14:26, Romans 8:26, Acts 1:8 – what roles does the Holy Spirit play in our lives according these passages? Have you seen that in your life or the lives of others?
4) Read Galatians 5:22-23, have you seen these “Fruits” in your life or in others? Have they ever surprised you?
5) Read 1 Corinthians 2:14 and 1 Corinthians 3:16-17
see: biblereasons.com/holy-spirit for more reading on the Holy Spirit.
6) Sanctification is a big, churchy word. It simply means to be made Holy. One definition of it “Becoming the kind of person who would be comfortable in heaven.” Have you heard people talk about Sanctification before? What comes to mind when you hear it?
7) Read 1st John 1:8 then read 1 John 3:6 – why do you think these two verses seem to conflict? (notice the verb tenses) and what can they teach us about a Holy life? Is holiness just about avoiding sin?
…This is a big topic that theology nerds love to talk about, so if you’re having trouble grabbing hold of it, remember Jesus told us in last week’s passages to simply “Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you.”
8) read 2 Peter 3:18 – do you think Sanctification is a process or does it happen in a moment? What has it looked like in your life or in the lives of Christians around you?
9) Read Romans 12: 1-2. Be honest, do you believe that you can be made Holy in this life time? Do you believe that God’s sanctifying grace is at work in your life? Why or why not?
10) What practical steps can you take this week to allow the Holy Spirit to work in your life?